- "Smile, my dear! You know, you're never fully dressed without one!"
- ―Alastor, after seeing Vaggie frown
Alastor is the infamous entity known as "The Radio Demon" and is one of the many powerful Overlords of Hell. He has offered to assist Charlie in her endeavors, albeit, for his own amusement. He is one of the main characters of Hazbin Hotel.
Alastor is about the same height as Vox, with the two of them standing at approximately 6 feet. He is quite slim, with beige colored skin, and sharp yellow teeth. He sports a short red angled bob cut with black tipping on the bottom and two large black-tipped tufts of hair extending from the top of his head, resembling deer ears,an undercut and two small black antlers which can grow in size in his demonic form.
His eyes, have blood red sclerae, bright red irises, black pupils (which can change into the shape of radio dials when in his demon form). He also wears a blood red oval-shaped monocle over his right eye.
Alastor wears a dark red pinstriped coat which is slightly ragged along the bottom, a bright red dress shirt with a black cross on the chest underneath and long burgundy dress pants with matching bright red cuffs.
He is also dressed in a red-knotted bowtie, burgundy gloves, and black pointed-toe boots with red deer hoofprints emblazoned on the soles. Alastor also carries a thin cane with a sentient vintage style microphone attached to it which he uses to play sound effects and broadcast his voice.
Alastor stands out from many of the more chaotic residents of hell for his well maintained amiable persona. He gives the first-impression of a good-natured and charming man, wearing a permanently wide grin on his face at all times. Alastor's behavior, mannerisms, and even his voice are similar to an old-fashioned radio announcer and speaks with a transatlantic accent, often using quaint anachronisms such as "picture show" and refers to Charlie as "charming demon belle".
This playful dandyish exterior, however, obscures a much darker side to him though, one with high levels of self-importance that will not hesitate to use physical violence when others don't act in line with his very particular values or expectations.
Alastor is described as a man of duality. He values good manners, affability and intelligence very highly in others, and will actively look down on those who do not meet his standards, however he will often play fast and loose with these arbitrary rules in regards to himself and his own conduct. His smiling is also a show of power and dominance, and miserable people are seen by him as weak.
Alastor has an odd sense of morality, which is described as "not normal", and has been noted to be quite sadistic and even cannibalistic, devouring lesser demons or those that have incurred his anger. Despite this, he keeps close friends with the other cannibals of hell, including the denizens at the Cannibal Colony.
He is narcissistic, not seeing many people quite up to his level. However, that does not make him reckless. Despite being extremely powerful, Alastor is fully aware that there are other demons and entities that rival him in terms of power, such as the Overlords. For this reason, he is wary around such demons, as they could potentially harm him if he is not careful.
Despite everything, Alastor does genuinely want to help Charlie run the Happy Hotel, albeit for his own amusement and hopes for its failure over siding with her idealism. Alastor also dismisses the idea that redemption is possible as laughable, nevertheless, he fulfills his role as patron as promised, providing the hotel with staff, and protecting Charlie and her business from outside threats. He views the whole endevor as a fun distraction from his decades of boredom.
- Demon Transformation: In the flashbacks and in the Alastor comic, Alastor has demonstrated the ability to turn into a stronger Demon form and back to his default form.
- Bilingualism: Alastor can speak English fluently as well as broken Creole French.
- Cooking: Alastor hints at his ability to create amazing meals at the end of the pilot after mentioning having admired his mother's cooking, specifically her Jambalaya.
- Musical, Dancing, and Theatrical Talent: Alastor is shown to display moderate vocal abilities and excels at dancing (tap, ballet, ballroom) as shown in his reprise in the pilot. He also shows a flair for theatrical showmanship.
- Broadcasting: Even before he died, Alastor excelled at broadcasting what he wants the public to hear over the radio, and he continues to do so in Hell, earning him the title of "The Radio Demon".
- Flexibility: Alastor can position his body into numerous unnatural poses and such without hurting his joints. He has also shown to be able to turn his head 180°.
- Wide Intellect: Alastor is shown to be quite the cunning individual, which resulted to him becoming one of the most powerful Overlords in Hell through his tricks and deal-making. He always strategizes and thinks ahead before proceeding to execute a plan.
- Demonic Magic: Alastor can cast magic thanks to the high power level he has accrued in the demon ranking system.
- Shadow Manipulation: Alastor is able to summon shadows and manipulate them into doing his bidding.
- Eldritch Control: Alastor has shown instances of possessing powers that make red glowing symbols float around him.
- Spatial Warping: Alastor is able to get around with the help of his shadow. This was first shown when he teleports behind Charlie and Vaggie after entering the hotel for the first time.
- Portal Creation: Alastor can get around easily as well as transport others easily via the portals he makes. This is shown when he pulls Niffty out of a fireplace he summons.
- Voodoo Magic: Alastor clenches his fist until droplets of blood can be seen as a means to defeat Sir Pentious.
- Pyrokinesis: Alastor summons a ball of fire to distract Charlie as he shoves Vaggie away before starting his reprise.
- Phytokinesis: As shown in the comics, Alastor is able to make plants wilt with a single stare.
- Manifestation: Alastor summons both Niffty and Husk out of nowhere and makes cheap booze appear for Husk.
- Photokinesis: During his introduction, he is shown to be able to project red glowing light from his eyes as well as his microphone.
- Outfit Alteration: Alastor is capable of changing the outfits of his targets as well as his own with a snap of a finger without having to do it manually.
- Alastor's name can be translated from ancient Greek to "spirit of revenge" or "tormentor".
- Alastor was from New Orleans, Louisiana when living.
- VivziePop declined to give out details of Alastor's killings, but described him as "not going after just anyone", highlighting his "weird moral code". She emphasized his not being a direct parallel to any real world serial killer, instead describing him as sharing some similarities with the fictional serial killer, Dexter.
- Alastor speaks with a Transatlantic (sometimes called a Mid-Atlantic) accent. A fashionable affect for American newscasters in the 1920's to adopt, it was a combination of an idealized American accent and the clipped upperclass Queen's English used by the British Broadcasting Corporation in their "World Service" radio news.
- Alastor can speak some French, although not fluently.
- The pilot makes several references to Alastor's love for his mother. This was confirmed by Faustisse, who described him as "a momma's boy".[note 1]
- Alastor was a big theater person while living and would see everything. His general media preferences would be the "elevated horror" genre, as well as smart, dry comedies, such as the work of Buster Keaton.
- When asked whether Alastor is afraid of dogs, Vivziepop stated that she doesn't think he's afraid of dogs (as was the case for previous iterations of his character), but that he actively dislikes them due to "backstory reasons" which involve his death, an event he apparently did not appreciate.
- Faustisse elaborated on this on their own separate stream, by stating that Alastor had been shot in the head by a hunter while attempting to bury a body on a hunting ground. The red 'X' on Alastor's forehead, seen glowing in the pilot when he uses his demon powers, may be a visual reference to this.[note 2]
- Although Alastor is not a hard drinker, he does favor the hard liquors when he chooses to drink, such as whiskey. VivziePop cited his New Orleans background for his "party side", emphasizing that he is a "classy drunk, not a messy drunk".
- Alastor likes black coffee, but does not like tea.
- Alastor is a big foodie and enjoys cooking. He is also something of a food snob, and hates "lazy" processed foods. VivziePop thinks Alastor probably isn't much of a fan of sweet things either, preferring bitter tastes, like meat and whiskey.
- Alastor enjoys visiting Cannibal Colony and frequents the cafes there, relating a lot to the residents and enjoying the food.
- When asked exactly what Alastor's powers are, VivziePop stated that they are "lots of things", and that even she doesn't know all of them yet. Alastor is a character that keeps many abilities hidden as he enjoys being unpredictable. He will sometimes feign an inability to do things that he can actually do, partly to subvert expectations, partly to be intentionally antagonistic and force the people around him to struggle with something he could easily have done.
- Alastor can take on many forms.
- Whenever Alastor uses his powers in the pilot, he is shown emitting a faint red aura.
- He can be seen using a form of Voodoo inspired blood magic as a means to defeat Sir Pentious in the pilot.
- Alastor's microphone is a living extension of himself that he can manifest and hide whenever he chooses. VivziePop thinks that he hypothetically would not be able to talk without it, but that it's not something that can ever be separated from him, as it's not a tangible object to anyone but Alastor.
- VivziePop described Alastor's planned room at the hotel as a mixture between both traditional decor and the fantastical, with one half being a classic "fancy study", complete with tasteful wallpaper and furnishings, the other half being a literal swamp conjured as a dining area. VivziePop highlighted Alastor's duality as a character and described him as being the type of person to own two homes, one a fancy townhouse, the other a rickety hunting lodge in a bayou on stilts.
- Alastor simultaneously does and does not care about neatness. He doesn't mind being covered in blood and viscera, and will calmly clean up after himself, but he is bothered by other things, such as people being messy eaters around him. Dave Capdevielle made the comparison to a Hannibal Lecter-like figure, who is very sophisticated about things.
- Alastor can sing and dance. VivziePop thinks that Alastor can tap dance specifically.
- Alastor's favorite song has been stated to be the one that partially inspired him: "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" from the musical, Annie. As for songs specific to Alastor's time period, it would be "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin. Cab Calloway was also mentioned as a favorite singer, with an emphasis on Alastor's love of jazz in both life and death.
- Alastor can play several instruments, including the piano, violin, trumpet, and saxophone. VivziePop has also stated (partially as a joke, but also partially serious!) that it is part of Alastor's canon that he both owns, and can play, a 'Furby organ'.
- Alastor enjoys occasionally impromptu joining in with bands that are playing. He loves to cook and prepare dishes, although in his own way as he prefers his meat raw. He also enjoys playing pranks on others.
- Alastor is not a fan of modern technology and doesn't like using any technology that was invented after he died. This plays a part in his not getting along with Vox, who has fully embraced it.
- Alastor is said to not be a big fan of children and although he wouldn't kill a child, he would strike one if they annoyed him too much, believing in "that kind of discipline". He also won't take responsibility if the child accidentally injures itself when he lets them play.
- VivziePop thinks Alastor would be a bad father, although a better mentor figure.
- Alastor's jovial remark on there being "so many orphans" during the stock market crash of 1929 in the pilot, implies he is apathetic to children.
- Alastor is canonically asexual. On earlier development streams for the pilot, VivziePop was more explicit about his also not being romantically inclined, but recently prefers to take the approach of allowing fans to "have fun" with his character, while simply reminding them he does have a specific direction within the canon of the show itself. VivziePop doesn't think the question of his romantic orientation is story-relevant and cites part of the reason being Alastor's love for himself and that no one else can measure up to it. VivziePop also doesn't think that Alastor is aware of the specific modern label applied to his sexuality, but she is writing him with that orientation clearly in mind.
- Faustisse confirmed on their own separate streams that Alastor is, in fact, still aromantic within the show, but also echoed VivziePop's sentiments about allowing the fandom to have respectful fun.[note 4]
- When pressed on whether she thought Alastor had ever been intimate, VivziePop said she didn't think so, but added that she did not spend much time thinking about Alastor's personal life at all.
- Alastor is capable of forming friendships and can become fond of people, although in his own particular way. He becomes fond of people he sees as especially funny or entertaining.
- Alastor interacts on better terms with women in general, and is much lighter in his view of them. He doesn't view many of the other powerful male characters within his circle as providing any substantially intelligent conversation, seeing them as "stupid idiot brutes" and not thinking very highly of them for the most part. Others, such as Angel and Husk, he finds pitiable.
- Alastor greatly values manners in others and is personally offended by disrespect and rudeness. He also values humor, enjoying when people can give him a good view of their misery.
- Alastor dislikes being touched and will go out of his way to avoid it, usually in the most off-putting way possible. VivziePop described him stretching and cracking his neck in unnatural contortions to mess with whoever has tried to touch him.
- He can also dematerialize to avoid things.
- Conversely, Alastor does not respect the personal space of others at all, grabbing and pulling around Charlie, Vaggie, and Husk numerous times in the pilot.
- Alastor wears gloves.[note 5] They are charcoal grey with red tips at the nails.
- Alastor apparently is not particularly big on oral hygiene, with VivziePop describing his breath as "not good", and Faustisse making reference to his having black gums.[note 6]
- Previous incarnations of Alastor's character (intended for a separate story) rendered him as a cannibalistic shapeshifter with a deer form. This is no longer relevant for his character as it appears in Hazbin Hotel, where he is simply a demon who is themed after a deer, sharing many visual traits, although VivziePop considers it possible he still has a deer form of some kind, which he doesn't use very often.
- The red treads on the soles of Alastor's shoes resemble deer hoof tracks, he has antlers, and two tufts of his hair that evoke the ears of a deer.
- When asked if Alastor has a deer tail, Vivziepop said that she is undecided on that element of his design and decided to leave it ambiguous, as she didn't think he would be wearing any outfits that would show it during the course of the show. Faustisse is of the opinion that he does not have a tail and thinks it sounds unnecessary.[note 7]
- When asked if Alastor was a Wendigo, Vivzipop stated Alastor, while not explicitly a Wendigo, "definitely has Wendigo themes" and that she's very aware of the folklaw.
- Alastor and Angel are two of the first characters Vivzie ever created, and also are two of her personal favorites.
- At MomoCon 2019, when asked if Alastor is going to appear in most episodes, Vivziepop stated that he is definitely a part of the main cast. She feels like there's going to be times when he's not around, but he will show up a satisfying amount and provide a big source of conflict.
- Alastor is one of the few Sinners who has not taken on a new name in Hell. Instead, he keeps with his true name from his living life, as he is not a fan of making nicknames for himself. He is, however, happy to be referred to as "Al".
|Hazbin Hotel||Helluva Boss|
|Main characters||Charlie Magne • Vaggie • Angel Dust • Alastor • Husk • Niffty||Blitzo • Millie • Moxxie • Loona|
|Supporting characters||Cherri Bomb • Fat Nuggets • Sir Pentious • The Egg Bois • Razzle and Dazzle • Katie Killjoy • Tom Trench||Stolas • Agent One • Agent Two • Cletus • Collin • Keenie • Octavia • Robo Fizz • Verosika Mayday • Wally Wackford • Striker|
|Minor Characters||Crymini • Exorcists • Helsa von Eldritch • Lilith Magne • Lucifer Magne • Mimzy • Travis||Barbie Wire • Catfish Monster • Eddie • Joe • Lin • Loo Loo • Loopty Goopty • Lyle Lipton • Martha • Mrs. Mayberry • Ralphie • Sallie May • Stella • Verosika's crew • Vortex|
|Overlords||Alastor • Rosie • Valentino • Velvet • Vox|
|Other Characters||Arackniss • Baxter • "Henroin" • Molly • Seviathan von Eldritch||Fizzarolli • Tilla • Mammon|