- "I'm addicted, I'm dependent. Looking awesome, feeling helpless. And I know I'm raisin' Cain by every highway in Hell. Maybe things won't be so terrible inside this hotel..."
- ―Angel Dust, in the official "ADDICT" music video
A Sinner Demon who was elected to be the first patient the Happy Hotel attempts to redeem, Angel's selfish actions of using the hotel as a rent-free living space threaten to jeopardize Charlie's dream.
Angel is estimated to stand around 8 feet with his heels on. He has a slender build with fluffy white hair and pink details on his fur, including a distinctive pink love-heart on the back of his head. The outline of a heart also encircles his chest, the bottom point of which extends past his waistband and down to his crotch area. He wears eye-shadow and eyeliner and while both of his irises are pink, his left eye has a dark sclera and no pupil. He also possesses a single golden fang among his sharp teeth, a trait he shares with his boss, Valentino. He has three cerise-pink dots under his eyes, which appear as freckles, although they are actually another set of smaller eyes.
One of Angel's most noticeable features is his prominent chest, which often confuses fans and other characters alike regarding his gender. The chest is composed entirely of fluffy fur, however, which Angel pushes up into a very breast-like formation with his tightly pinned jacket for show.
Angel's everyday attire consists of a long white suit blazer with horizontal pink stripes down the length, a black and cerise-pink bowtie, a black choker, cerise-pink gloves, a black miniskirt and long black thigh-high heeled boots.
Though usually depicted with six limbs, Angel has a third retractable set of arms that he summon at will.
Angel is sassy and sarcastic, with a sharp wit. He will often use those traits to deflect criticism or insults, and side-step responsibility.
He will switch between playful and easily destructive as he pleases, and his humor tends to be crude and crass, with an emphasis on dirty jokes and innuendo. He is stylish and projects an excessive amount of confidence with his public persona, being wildly flirtatious and interested in receiving positive attention for his looks and the profile he has made for himself in Hell. He also makes a show of looking down others for their looks, declaring the other denizens of Hell to be mostly "ugly freaks".
As a result, Angel can often appear flippant and callous, but in reality, he is preemptively defensive and hides much of his true, more sensitive, self for his own protection, not expecting those around him to show him kindness.
Angel does have friends, and while he cares about them, and will sometimes show signs of wanting to reach out, he keeps many walls up between himself and others, and avoids holding overly emotional relationships. He holds cynical views on the idea of redemption, although he seems to still hold onto a small hope it may be possible for him.
The on-going abusive situation he is in with his boss, Valentino, puts him under a great deal of stress at his work, and he is implied to be somewhat traumatized as a result.
- Bilingualism: Angel is fluent in both Italian and English.
- Weapon Proficiency: Angel can handle weapons with ease, specifically firearms and explosives.
- Sensitivity: Angel can sense incoming storms from a mile away.
- Flexibility: Angel's body is proven to be quite flexible as he was able to remove the chains that were restraining him with ease.
- Athleticism: Since Angel is based on the jumping spider, he is able to jump incredible heights.
- Retractable Arms: Angel has a third set of arms that he keeps hidden and only uses them as his last resort.
- Firearms: Angel has a vast collection of firearms that he uses throughout his battles. He is first seen handling a Thompson gun in the pilot and can be seen handling six other guns in the prequel comic.
- The name Anthony may come from the word "antonia", which means "priceless/praiseworthy and or beautiful".
- His human name during early development was originally intended to be "Martin", which was a reference to Martin Scorsese, but it was later changed to "Anthony".
- "Angel Dust" is Angel's chosen all-encompassing persona name, and one he uses exclusively in place of his actual name. It is intended as multipurpose for both his drag queen persona and his sex-work persona. This also references his death from overdosing on PCP, also known as angel dust.
- Angel was from New York when living. During earlier development for his character, Angel was at one time planned to be from Los Angeles. VivziePop settled on New York, however, wishing to give Angel a setting more appropriate for the traditional Brooklin gangster voice she envisioned for him, and one that none of the other characters originated from.
- Angel has two siblings, an older brother, Arackniss, and a fraternal twin sister, Molly.
- Angel comes from an extended mob family, who are all "horrible people", and are mostly also all in Hell. They all appear as spider-based demons due to their "web of crime", and the majority of Angel's immediate family have drug-themed names.
- Angel was of Italian heritage.
- Angel has a drug addiction problem, which is shown in the pilot when he is paying for the drug angel dust from a vending machine.
- Angel got into sex work pretty early upon arriving in Hell, rejecting his family’s mob dealings, something that VivziePop plans to explore on the show.
- VivziePop describes Angel as somewhat like the Hell-equivalent to Paris Hilton or the Kardashians, in that he is a well-known star of a particular type in this world. Adult-film actors are the regular stars of Hell, and Angel is one of the bigger stars working at one of the biggest studios.
- VivziePop also expressed her wish to give Angel a group of drag queen and stripper friends from his workplace within the show.
- Due to the fact he frequently stars pornography now, Angel no longer watches pornography himself.
- Angel is gay, but is willing to sleep with women as part of sex work for money, as shown in the prequel comic, although it is not his personal preference to do so and he will charge extra for his effort.
- Although Angel has slept with many people, according to VivziePop, he has not been in as many relationships and the ones he has been in haven't worked out.
- At the Momocon 2019 Hazbin Hotel panel, VivziePop mentioned that Angel would be getting a love interest during the show. She gave no indication as to whom it may be, talking about how difficult she finds keeping upcoming couples on her projects quiet (something she has failed to do in the past), but is determined when it comes to Hazbin Hotel.
- Angel has personal kinks that he is into.
- Whenever Angel is not working and doesn't feel the need to maintain his public persona, he prefers to dress in very cosy, comfortable, unsexualized clothing.
- VivziePop described Angel as a character with very strong themes of duality, citing his drag persona specifically as a big part of it. His very inhuman form reflects the subject of self-image, describing it as a more universally understandable issue that could be conveyed with a less humanoid character like his.
- When discussing Angel's extra set of retractable extra arms, VivziePop mentioned them being thematically appropriate for his character, as Angel is trying to hide much of his true self behind walls and does not have a lot of trust.
- Although Angel likes and embraces his demon form, the one thing Angel doesn't like about it is his feet. Where possible, he would avoid sex work that involved his feet, or else he would be angry about it if it was unavoidable.
- In artwork used for backgrounds in the pilot, Angel's feet resemble those of a spider's.
- When asked about the dots underneath Angel's eyes, Viv revealed they are actually two sets of smaller eyes, but they are also designed to resemble freckles.
- In an earlier development stream, when asked if Angel is venomous, Vivziepop stated she did not think Angel was venomous due to being based on the jumping spider. However, she returns to this in a later stream, stating that Angel's bite may be venomous, but that venom in Hell can't actually kill anyone, it just causes temporary pain or disfigurement and making them fall ill.
- Angel's favorite color is pink.
- According to VivziePop, there is a reason Angel is so brightly colored and this is something she wants to explore on the show.
- Angel is the tallest of the main cast of characters.
- Angel is shown having PTSD-esque flashbacks and dealing with possible depression after having to endure serious abuse at the hands of Valentino.
- VivziePop thinks that Angel is somewhat indifferent to keeping up with trends in Hell. He is interested in keeping up with fashion, but is not particularly interested in technology in general. He’s on the fence with the more online aspects of tech, with VivziePop speculating that he would be something of a troll.
- She also doesn't think Angel would be good at usign Hell's equivalent of a mobile phone for its intended purpose, rather that he would enjoy its capacity to take photos.
- Angel is not a picky eater. He really enjoys food in general, especially Italian dishes and well prepared meals, but is also not opposed to junk food every so often.
- Angel can play both the trumpet and accordion, although not especially well.
- Angel remarks in the pilot that he has no interest in the politics of Hell.
- According to Vivizepop, Angel has a soft spot for children and he would be the "friendly irresponsible" type. He wouldn't behave inappropriately around them, but would still swear. If he were to find a lost baby, he wouldn't hurt them, but he would take them to inappropriate places while finding their parents.
- When asked why Angel likes kids, VivziePop explained that, although it probably wouldn’t be explored with regards to children in the show, there are reasons for Angel's sentimentality and his instinctually seeing innocence as a thing to be valued. This was also the reason given for his loving Fat Nuggets so much.
- Angel genuinely likes fish and his favorite kinds are said to be the blobfish and angelfish.
- During the second chorus of the ADDICT music video, Angel and Cherri Bomb are shown in a club that features a ceiling-high aquarium in the background. In what may be a small easter egg, a blobfish and a handful of angelfish can be seen in one of the shots.
- During the gang war with Sir Pentious, when Angel's shadow is cast behind him, it appears much larger than him, with six arms and glowing red eyes. This implies that Angel can possibly transform into a larger form like other sinner demons, such as Alastor.
- Angel, and in extension, Molly's birthday are under ambiguity. VivziePop felt that Angel's actual birthday is April 1st, although she can't say for certain, not remembering if there is a true date.. The date of Angel's creation as one of VivziePop's characters is February 9.
- VivziePop cited Roger from American Dad’ as a source of inspiration when creating Angel Dust's character. In his original draft, Angel apparently shared more traits in common with him, being a "ridiculous drugged-out psychopath". Where they now differ is in Roger's intentional lack of depth and empathy for the comedy show he exists in, whereas Angel now has more of an interior life with motivations and feelings.
- In a much earlier draft of the story that featured one of Angel's earlier design iterations, Vivziepop briefly attempted to see if Angel and an earlier version of Vaggie's character would work as a romantic couple within the version of the story she was currently working on. She eventually decided against it and moved on, continuing to develop the characters in other directions, describing them as "no longer compatible".
- Angel, alongside Alastor, are said to be the hardest to write for Vivziepop. They were created around complex emotions she had experienced in her life, as well as their particular time periods requiring greater amounts of research.
- Angel and Alastor are also two of the earliest characters VivziePop created that would eventually end up in Hazbin Hotel. Angel was created during her later college years and she would draw him excessively.
- Creating Angel Dust was an emotional rollercoaster ride for VivziePop, as it helped her get through some intense personal events.
- A poster for Angel Dust appears in the Lust Ring in the Helluva Boss episode "Ozzie's".
|Hazbin Hotel||Helluva Boss|
|Main characters||Charlie Magne • Vaggie • Angel Dust • Alastor • Husk • Niffty||Blitzo • Millie • Moxxie • Loona|
|Supporting characters||Cherri Bomb • Fat Nuggets • Sir Pentious • The Egg Bois • Razzle and Dazzle • Katie Killjoy • Tom Trench||Stolas • Agent One • Agent Two • Cletus • Collin • Keenie • Fizzarolli • Octavia • Robo Fizz • Verosika Mayday • Wally Wackford • Striker|
|Other Characters||Crymini • Exorcists • Helsa von Eldritch • Lilith Magne • Lucifer Magne • Mimzy • Travis||Asmodeus • Barbie Wire • Catfish Monster • Eddie • Joe • Lin • Loopty Goopty • Lyle Lipton • Martha • Mrs. Mayberry • Ralphie • Sallie May • Stella • Verosika's crew • Vortex|
|Overlords||Alastor • Rosie • Valentino • Velvet • Vox|
(HH • HB)
|Arackniss • Baxter • Angel Dust's father • Molly • Seviathan von Eldritch||Tilla • Mammon|