Helluva Boss is a spin-off cartoon series from the Hazbin Hotel franchise. The series takes place within the same universe as Hazbin Hotel but features a new cast of characters, a new tone, and a new story. The pilot was released on November 25, 2019.
In Hell, imps are the lowest of the low in society, but what happens when one starts an assassin business? This happens! Follow Blitzo (the 'o' is silent) as he attempts to run a startup killing company in a very competitive market, along with his weapons specialist Moxxie, his powerhouse Millie, and his receptionist hellhound Loona. With the help of an ancient book obtained by one of the princes of Hell, Stolas, they manage to make their work possible and together they attempt to survive each other while trying to keep their business afloat.
Cast and characters
- Richard Steven Horvitz - Moxxie, Eddie, Nurse #2
- Brandon Rogers - Blitzo, Doctor
- Erica Lindbeck - Millie, Loona, Mother
- Brock Baker - Stolas, "Some" Demon Guy, Nurse #1
- Unlike Hazbin Hotel, Helluva Boss is recorded under SAG-AFTRA, allowing more Hollywood voice actors to be cast for the short. The casting was done by Kellen Goff who frequently visited animator Ashley Nichols' animation streams. Recording was done in ensemble at SPG Studios in Los Angeles.
- According to Vivziepop in HAZBIN HOTEL Animation Cleanup Pt. 6 Ft. Edward Bosco, Michael Kovach, and Vivziepop, she'd be open for Richard Horvitz to voice in Hazbin, but was discouraged by it since Horvitz is SAG, which was not used in Hazbin. This was later foreshadowed for Helluva Boss as Horvitz was acquired to voice Moxxie in the short.
- Although Helluva Boss still utilizes selective Hazbin animation talent, it also uses several animators who worked on Villainous, a Cartoon Network Latin America original series, most of whom became a part of the project after leaving the series due to controversial reasons. Villainous and Hazbin Hotel are often compared to one another by fans.
- Alan Ituriel, creator of Villainous, is also aware of Hazbin but refuses to do any drawing requests featuring characters from the series due to copyright reasons with the exception of the FAN SERVICE stream due to the more loose rules of that stream.
- On the Vivzie Streem #7 live stream, Vivziepop revealed that Blitzo and Angel Dust would be kicked out of Medieval Times for various shenanigans.
- Brandon Rogers, who co-wrote and voices in the show, is also known for his Mad Tea Party video on his channel. Coincidentally, a fan of Hazbin made an animatic with selective bits from said audio and Vivienne herself commented on it; which may have been an influence for Rogers' involvement in the project.
- According to Vivziepop, Helluva Boss is more episodic in nature.
- According to Vivziepop, Helluva Boss was produced faster than Hazbin Hotel as she gained enough experience producing Hazbin Hotel to not only assemble a new crew but also make decisions that made production more effective.
- According to Vivziepop, the demon that made a slight cameo in the "Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow" music video is indeed Blitzo, whose final design was still being worked on when his cameo spot on the video was being worked on.
- According to RebelTaxi, who initially applied for storyboard work on the pilot, all tests for the show require artists to interpret excerpts from Brandon Rogers' work in order to be inquired.