Helluva Boss is a spin-off adult animated web series of the Hazbin Hotel franchise. The series takes place within the same universe as Hazbin Hotel but features a new cast of characters, a new tone, and a new story. The pilot was released on November 25, 2019 on Vivziepop’s Official YouTube Channel.
In Hell, Imps are the lowest of the low in society, but what happens when one starts an assassin business? This happens! Follow Blitzo (the 'o' is silent) as he attempts to run a startup killing company in a very competitive market, along with his weapons specialist, Moxxie, his powerhouse, Millie, and his receptionist Hellhound, Loona. With the help of an ancient book obtained by one of the princes of Hell, Stolas, they manage to make their work possible and together they attempt to survive each other while trying to keep their business afloat.
- Brandon Rogers as Blitzo
- Richard Steven Horvitz as Moxxie
- Vivian Nixon as Millie (main series)
- Erica Lindbeck as Millie (pilot) and Loona
Major Supporting Cast
- Bryce Pinkham as Stolas (main series)
- Barrett Wilbert Weed as Octavia
- Employees of C.H.E.R.U.B
- Alex Brightman as Fizzarolli and Robo Fizz
- Cristina Vee as Verosika Mayday
- Norman Reedus as Striker
- Jinkx Monsoon as Martha and Party Girl
- Mara Wilson as Mrs. Mayberry
- James Monroe Iglehart as Vortex
- Maxwell Atoms as Ralphie, Jarold, and Loo Loo
- Michael James Ruocco as Lyle Lipton
- Brandon Rogers as Loopty Goopty
- Jayden Libran as Big Woobly
- Brock Baker as Some Guy (pilot)
- Su Jan Chase as Lin
- Edward Bosco as Joe
- Morgana Ignis as Sallie May
- Richard Horvitz
- Elsie Lovelock
- Mara Wilson
- Jinkx Monsoon
- Kestin Howard (scratch track)
- Christopher Ayres (scratch track)
- Krystal LaPorte (scratch track)
- Vivienne Medrano
- Edward Bosco
- Erica Lindbeck
- Juliana Sada (children voices)
- Dashiell McGaha-Schletter (children voices)
- Su Jan Chase
- Jayden Libran
- Morgana Ignis
- Vivian Nixon
- Courtney Raine Taylor
- Unlike Hazbin Hotel, Helluva Boss is recorded under SAG-AFTRA, allowing more Hollywood voice actors to be cast for the short. The casting for the pilot was done by Kellen Goff who frequently visited animator Ashley Nichols' animation streams. The pilot's recording sessions were done in ensemble at SPG Studios in Los Angeles while the series' recording sessions were done both remotely and at Horseless Cowboy in Hollywood, whom were also in charge of casting for the series. Voice direction was done by Rick Zieff and Vivienne Medrano in the pilot, then by Medrano and Richard Horvitz in the series.
- Alongside some of the recurring Hazbin voice alumni, many actors whom worked with writer Brandon Rogers on his YouTube channel such as Su Jan Chase, as well as actors whom worked in Broadway shows also contributed voices for the series.
- According to Vivziepop in HAZBIN HOTEL Animation Cleanup Pt. 6 Ft. Edward Bosco, Michael Kovach, and Vivziepop, she'd be open for Richard Horvitz to voice in Hazbin, but was discouraged by it since Horvitz is SAG, which was not used in Hazbin. This was later foreshadowed for Helluva Boss as Horvitz was acquired to voice Moxxie in the short.
- Although Helluva Boss still utilizes selective Hazbin animation talent, it also uses several animators who worked on Villainous, a Cartoon Network Latin America original series, most of whom became a part of the project after leaving the series due to controversial reasons. Villainous and Hazbin Hotel are often compared to one another by fans.
- Alan Ituriel, creator of Villainous, is also aware of Hazbin but refuses to do any drawing requests featuring characters from the series due to copyright reasons with the exception of the FAN SERVICE stream due to the more loose rules of that stream.
- Although the show is set in the same universe as Hazbin, open connections between both shows are kept at a minimum due to legal concerns as Hazbin was being pitched through networks at the time before the series was acquired by A24, and Vivziepop intended for the show to be more of a standalone independent web series as the comedy nature of the show is far different compared to the comedy-drama nature of Hazbin.
- Brandon Rogers, who co-wrote and voices in the show, is also known for his Mad Tea Party video on his channel. Coincidentally, a fan of Hazbin made an animatic with selective bits from said audio and Vivienne herself commented on it; which may have been an influence for Rogers' involvement in the project.
- According to Vivziepop, Helluva Boss is more episodic in nature.
- According to Vivziepop, Helluva Boss was produced faster than Hazbin Hotel as she gained enough experience producing Hazbin Hotel to not only assemble a new crew but also make decisions that made production more effective.
- According to Vivziepop, the demon that made a slight cameo in the "Inside of Every Demon is a Rainbow" music video is indeed Blitzo, whose final design was still being worked on when his cameo spot on the video was being worked on.
- According to RebelTaxi, who initially applied for storyboard work on the pilot, all tests for the show require artists to interpret excerpts from Brandon Rogers' work in order to be inquired.
- While Brandon and Richard were personally acquired by Vivziepop and casting director Kellen Goff, Erica Lindbeck and Brock Baker auditioned for their roles.
- Jayden Libran previously worked with Vivziepop and Maxwell Atoms as a puppeteer on Atoms' shelved series Dead Meat.
- Although Vivziepop stated that recording for episodes had been delayed due to the recent COVID pandemic, voice actor Jayden Libran has confirmed that recording officially continued through individual, in-studio sessions, as opposed to group recordings.
- Eight episodes of Helluva Boss are in production thus far.
- Jefferson Friedman, Matt Novak and Christopher French, composers whom are known for their work on DC's Harley Quinn, one of Medrano's favorite shows, also score for the series.
- According to Vivziepop, Brandon and herself initially wrote the episodes simultaneously by meeting once a week during lunch.