- "You know, folks, with this company, I really wanted to prove that we're capable of doing the same things anyone else can! Like killing people! So, from us here at the Immediate Murder Professionals group, we promise to settle your unfinished business or your money...is gone and you're never getting it back and you can write us a bad review, but we'll play dumb to it, because it's hell and no one fucking cares."
The Pilot is the unnamed pilot episode of Helluva Boss that premiered on YouTube on November 25, 2019, on Vivziepop's YouTube channel.
The episode opens with Blitzo holding a meeting with the other employees of I.M.P to discuss their failing business. He then gets into an argument with Moxxie after blaming him for the company's poor performance, who blames Blitzo's poor business management instead and how he used all of their salaries to pay for an advertising campaign to run for a full three hours on a TV channel that nobody in Hell watches. Rather than take the blame for the campaign, Blitzo begins arguing with Moxxie about advertising jingles and comparing them to musical theatre, while Moxxie claims no one actually likes the jingles, before Millie chimes in, saying she liked them.
Blitzo then plays the adverts, which everyone watches while eating popcorn. The adverts show Blitzo dressed up as a vaudeville villain with a top hat(s) and monocle, twiddling a fake mustache while burning down an orphanage, then him dressed as an angel throwing a recyclable cup into a trash can while the staff of the cafe he is in look on in confusion. The advert then shows a testimonial from an Ohioan demon that hired I.M.P, who murdered his wife for sleeping with a delivery man and wanted revenge on the jogger who caught him hiding the body.
It then shows a montage of the company's handiwork, set to the jingle Blitzo and Moxxie were arguing about, before finishing in a park where Blitzo and Millie watch as Moxxie is lining up a shot on a target, before accidentally shooting Eddie after he walks in front of him.
They rush Eddie to a hospital, where a doctor and two nurses successfully revive him, but they then throw Blitzo, Moxxie and Millie out the window along with the hospital bed Eddie's in when they learn that they don't have any insurance. The episode cuts back to the meeting room, where Moxxie blames Loona for the screw up, reasoning that as the dispatcher, she was meant to give them the right info on the target. Loona then insults him, and Moxxie tries to come up with a retort before angrily giving up and telling her to do her job.
Blitzo defends Loona, saying she did nothing wrong and is part of the company family, while Moxxie claims she is awful at her job. A series of flashbacks of Loona's interactions with her coworkers are then shown, including her hanging up on Millie when she called her after being stabbed, throwing an adoption anniversary gift from Blitzo on the ground, faxing Moxxie an advert for weight loss and later eating his lunch after coming into work with a hangover.
It then shows her at her desk, telling Blitzo that Stolas wants him on the phone, and that he sounds "DTF-y". Blitzo angrily claims it was a one time thing, and that if he hadn't slept with Stolas none of them would have access to the living world. A flashback of Blitzo acquiring the grimoire that the company uses is shown, before Loona yells his name to remind him that Stolas is waiting for him on the phone.
Blitzo is then shown in his office taking the call, where Stolas asks him to take care of a political candidate back on earth, one who thinks global warming is real. After Blitzo asks him if it is real, Stolas says it is, but that more people will die if nothing is done, and that it gets lonely in hell. Blitzo agrees that makes sense, when Stolas asks Blitzo if he knows what happens when he gets lonely, before beginning to graphically describe having sex with Blitzo. Blitzo ends the call in disgust and, deeply disturbed by what he just heard, destroys his cell phone.
The episode returns to the present, with Moxxie asking Blitzo on the subject of family if he could stop finding him and Millie outside of work. Millie claims that it's not a big deal, which surprises Moxxie. Another series of flashbacks are then shown, with Blitzo hiding in the couple's fridge, staring at Moxxie as he sleeps, and filming them with a camcorder as Moxxie sings to Millie, before Moxxie notices him.
The episode returns to the meeting room, where Blitzo insults Moxxie for valuing his and Millie's privacy, asking if he's trying to hide something, before Loona insults him again, starting an argument between Millie and Loona. Eddie, who has been lying on the hospital bed pretending to be paralyzed to avoid getting killed the entire meeting, interrupts them wanting to die to avoid having to listen to them anymore, all while insulting everyone else in the room. After his outburst Loona's phone gets a message, saying Eddie actually was the target, which Blitzo takes as a sign that maybe there is a god, drawing a pistol and shooting Eddie again.
A montage of Blitzo, Millie and Moxxie disposing of Eddie's body is shown while Blitzo narrates. It then cuts to the outside of a news studio in the living world, where Eddie's mom is appealing for help in finding her son, when a portal opens above her through which Blitzo dumps a bag containing Eddie's dismembered remains.
- Blitzo (debut)
- Moxxie (debut)
- Millie (debut)
- Loona (debut)
- Stolas (debut)
- Eddie (debut)
- Stella (debut; non-speaking cameo)
- Charlie Magne (video only)
- Lucifer Magne (drawing)
- Katie Killjoy (pictured)
- Sir Pentious (pictured)
- Cherri Bomb (drawing)
- Barbie Wire (pictured)
- Tilla (pictured)
- Octavia (pictured)
- Satan (mentioned)
- Eddie's mom
- Blitzo's dad (mentioned)
- Moxxie's parents (mentioned)
- Hospital staff
- Blue-haired nurse
- Pink-haired nurse
- Loona's Hellphone
- Avocado salad
- Moxxie's guitar
- Blitzo's camcorder
- Stolas's Grimoire
- Moxxie and Millie's wedding portrait
- Blitzo's circus family portrait
View the episode's transcript here.
- Unlike the Hazbin Hotel pilot, this pilot does not have a title.
- This episode is shown to take place after the Hazbin Hotel pilot, as Loona can be seen watching the live broadcast of Charlie advertising the hotel in one of the flashbacks.
- Lucifer Magne and Satan are shown to be separate characters as a homeless Imp can be seen holding a sign that says "Satan Bless".
- The crowd present in the church are animated versions of the people who worked on the pilot.
- The dumpster wherein Eddie's body is disposed of has various graffiti referencing Hazbin Hotel. For instance, the quote "Always Chasing Rainbows" references the song from the pilot, a one-eyed smiling face representing Cherri Bomb, and the words "Happy Hotel" written on the side.
- The "Chub B Gone" weight loss advertisement Moxxie received is a reference to the amphetamines of the same name from the series Bojack Horseman.
- The newscaster shown at the end of the pilot is a caricature of Brandon Rogers' "Flint Dicker" character from his YouTube channel.
- The red-haired girl with red glasses shown in the church is a caricature of Brandon Rogers' "Helen Brownstein" character from his YouTube channel.
- Moxxie and Millie own a Phantom Of The Opera playbill in their bedroom.
- Blitzo's "Boss Goals" board features a crude drawing of what appears to be Scrooge McDuck.
- A girl in the church is seen wearing a beanie that slightly resembles GIR from Invader Zim.
- Stolas mentions a political candidate trying to convince the public that global warming is real. He is referring to Al Gore and the Documentary film, An Inconvenient Truth.
- The scene showing Blitzo in the fridge may be a reference to a scene in Brandon Rogers' The CEO YouTube video.
- Moxxie asking Blitzo if insulting him makes him feel better about his sad miserable life, which Blitzo agrees, is a reference to a scene in the film Zootopia, which is one of Vivziepop's favorite films.
- Millie's eyelashes change lengths throughout the episode.
- During the scene wherein Blitzo asks Moxxie if he has forgotten what their business is about, the remote he uses changes from a one-button remote to a TV remote.
- During the final verse of the I.M.P Jingle, though Moxxie clearly shoots Eddie with a double-barrel shotgun, it suddenly changes into a sniper rifle in the next shot.
- The colors of Loona's eyes are reversed during the scene wherein she asks Blitzo if her gift is a cure for Syphilis.
- When Blitzo looks out the window, he presses his face up against it hard enough to crack it, but when it cuts back to him closing the blinds the window is intact.
- In the same shot before cutting away from the window, Blitzo is incorrectly cropped, noticeable top-right, suggesting the he is misaligned in the scene.
- In the scene where Blitzo closes the blinds, it is shown that he closes them all the way down, however in the next shot it is shown that they are only halfway closed.
- In the scene wherein the rest of the I.M.P employees are first shown, the inverted pentagram opening that is supposed to be visible in the middle part of Loona's tanktop is colored in instead of leaving it the same as her fur color.
- The wires attached to Eddie's body are shown to not even be connected to the monitor. **Additionally, the monitor appears static.
- Moxxie is seen standing next to Blitzo when they realize that Eddie was still alive. Moxxie is then seen sitting next to Millie again in the next scene.
- In the scene where Moxxie questions Loona about a weight loss ad he was sent, Loona's right ear is missing its tear.
- When Loona is about to say "The only reason you have a husband is because he's easy to manage!", Millie's body can be seen phasing through the table.
- Moxxie blames Loona for supposedly not giving them the right target when in fact he was the one who accidentally shot Eddie instead of their supposed target at the time. Though that's probably the point, Moxxie is trying to blame someone else for his own mistake.
- After Blitzo gets ahold of the grimoire, his upper body is seen sliding through the balcony.
- The design of Blitzo's eyelids is inconsistent throughout the episode.
|Hazbin Hotel||Helluva Boss|
(HH) • (HB)
|TBA||"Murder Family" • "Loo Loo Land" • "Spring Broken • "C.H.E.R.U.B" • "The Harvest Moon Festival" • "Truth Seekers"|