- "You think you can just buy me with a wink and some cheap booze?! Well, you can!"
- ―Husk, responding to Alastor's proposal
Husk is an anthropomorphic avian cat demon. His look is evocative of a magician, paired with a casino referencing playing-card theme.
The sclera of his eyes are black, with yellow irises and slitted pupils. He has long, red eyebrows with black vertical stripes near the tips, and a small black heart above each eyebrow.
His fur is taupe-colored, overlayed with white on his face, torso, feet, and upper arms. The insides of his ears are white with a red tip at the point and red heart in the center. A black tuff of fluff protrudes from each, creating the appearance of small hearts.
He has a darker shade of taupe encircling his ankles, mimicking spats.
His tail is taupe and long, ending with a large spray of "plume-like" fur or feathers, which are dark pink with black and white stripes.
He has yellow-orange hearts underneath the paws on his hands.
His wings are large and red, with dark taupe on the undersides. The undersides of his wings are decorated with black stripes which feature red and white roulette wheel dot markings. His outside of his wings are decorated with more black stripes, which wrap around the joints and run around a row of white roulette wheel dots.
Husk accessorizes with a black top hat with a red hatband and a golden button-like decoration, as well as a red bowtie and black suspenders over his shoulders.
Husk is a grumpy, lazy, and apathetic old sinner who is generally uninterested in most things that fall outside of his now very narrow interests; namely gambling, parlor tricks, and prolific drinking.
He resists having to do work for free and balks at the idea of being forced into doing "charity work" at Alastor's request for the Hazbin Hotel (although he also seems easily bribed with "cheap booze").
A "husk" of his former self, he claims to have "lost the ability to love" long ago, though whether literally or metaphorically is yet unclear.
He can be gruff, sarcastic, and even vulgar at times, with a propensity to swear. Despite this, he is said to also be surprisingly patient and able to take outlandish events in his stride, electing to drink his problems away later.
He is also said to be something of a softy deep down, and even quite sweet.
- Flight: Thanks to his large pair of avian wings, Husk is capable of flight. Though, it has been stated that he doesn't fly often, both because he is lazy and because he is not fond of his demon form in general.
- Multilingualism: Aside from English, Husk can speak the following languages fluently: Italian, Russian, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, and Japanese.
- Musical Talent: Husk can play the saxophone to a professional standard. He can also possibly play the piano.
- Gambling/Sleight-of-Hand: It's unclear whether Husk has any elevated skill when it comes to the actual playing of gambling related games, such as Poker, as he's noted to frequently cheat using his sleight-of-hand talents. Husk is shown to have skill in controlling the game, however, and has the ability to take an entire pot out from under a group of other players.
Concept & Creation
Husk was originally designed by Vivziepop's younger sibling, M, also known as "Razz", who conceived the character as a winged cat-like humanoid, then gifted him as a character to her.
Vivziepop developed Husk with the intention of him joining her demon gang and being a close friend for Angel within the planned "Angels and Demons" arc of her then-running webcomic, Zoophobia.
VivziePop eventually realized that the collection of misfit demons she had designed to appear within the comic had the potential for their own self-contained story, and shifted them, including Husk, over to the first draft of what would eventually become Hazbin Hotel.
Vivziepop first redesigned Husk in August 2014, where she began to lean much harder visually into his magician theming, changing his fur from pure white to a mid-grey and white tuxedo pattern.
In 2015, Husk received one of his final redesigns, which streamlined him into a more animation-friendly character with better posture, a more cohesive color-scheme, and a simplification on his patterning. This design would only see relatively minor tweaks before heading into the pilot.
Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty was an influence on how VivziePop originally envisioned the tone of Husk's voice, although Vivziepop noted that, aside from being "grumpy old people", it was funny how little else Rick and Husk had in common.
Using a sample of Rick's voice as an example of what she was looking for did not play out favorably for subsequent auditions however, as many that were sent in were mere impressions of Rick rather than a unique voice of their own.
Vivziepop met Mick Lauer prior to his eventual casting as Husk's voice actor. After Vivziepop's Die Young music video became successful on YouTube, she was contacted by Lauer, who brought her into his fold of Newgrounds artist friends, inviting her to feature on the MAGFest 2016: Animation Panel with him.
- Husk's name means "a dried-up, and subsequently worthless exterior of something", which is descriptive of his character, as he's shown to be merely what is left over of the man he once was.
- When a fan informed VivziePop that husk means "remember" in Danish, VivziePop replied that it "kind of fits him, when you get to know his story".
- Husk was stated to be from Las Vegas when he was alive.
- Husk grew up in a casino and really likes "cheesy old magic shows" with unironic enthusiasm. As a child, he would watch the magic shows that took place in the casino. His love for magic is something he's retained, with it being described by Vivziepop as "the one thing that melts his crusty heart".
- Husk can play the saxophone and had to play for lounge bars in Vegas a lot while living.
- Vivziepop describes Husk as a magician.
- She also describes him as the most befitting of the title "has been", in the literal definition of the phrase, more so than any of the other characters from the main cast.
- His love of magic and possible past career is also reflected in his design, the patterns of his fur being evocative of an old-fashioned magician's outfit, complete with tuxedo and spats, accessorized with a banded top-hat.
- Vivziepop says that, at the time of recording, she hasn't ironed out all the characters' nationalities, but she thinks that Husk is probably of Russian heritage, or at least part Russian.
- According to Faustisse, Husk travelled a lot during his living life.[note 2]
- Husk is described as the "protective, grumpy, drunk, angry uncle of the group", who loves gambling and cigars.[note 3] He is a gambling addict and an alcoholic, who is described as actively fighting his gambling addiction in Hell.
- Faustisse confirmed Husk's orientation to be pansexual and also elaborated on the manner with which he expresses it, implying him to be gender-blind and referring to his attitude towards attraction as "Any hole is a goal", adding that "If you just hid every person's upper body, all buttcheeks are up for game".[note 1]
- Faustisse also described Husk as being very physically unattractive when he was alive and stated that it contributed to his lack of pickiness or preference when it came to sexual partners.[note 4]
- According to Vivziepop, Husk's casino lifestyle, alongside his voice actor, Mick Lauer's, fluency in Mandarin, was an influence on his multilingualism.
- Husk utilizes his love of sleight-of-hand magic to frequently cheat at gambling. This is demonstrated in the pilot episode when Alastor teleports Husk to the hotel and he is shown holding both duplicate and non-existent cards when announcing his "full house" win.
- Vivziepop agrees with Mick Lauer's assessment of Husk as insecure in certain ways, adding that he would need "a lot of validation".
- During a development stream for the pilot, Vivziepop mentioned that Husk's love-heart motif was in part a reference to the fact he is something of a softy on the inside, and "kinda sweet" deep down.
- Vivziepop stated that Husk is a cuddler and "a very fluffy, cuddly animal", but, that it's not something that just anyone gets to see, and that ultimately the only person who would get to experience that about him would be a significant other.
- Husk is apparently "surprisingly patient". Contrary to what could be assumed of him, it takes a lot to push him to the point of explosiveness and he can endure a lot. Vivziepop described him as "the straight man" of the group in the sense that he is constantly having to deal with the other characters' drama, as they are often bickering with each other, where Husk will just take himself away to drink.
- According to Faustisse, Husk is great with children.[note 5]
- According to Dave Capdevielle, Husk is "very deeply emotionally troubled", which is why he drinks a lot.
- VivziePop describes Husk as "definitely one of the most jaded characters on the show".
- Husk doesn't really like the form he has taken in Hell and does not embrace it, although he has accepted it. He especially dislikes his more cat-like mannerisms, like purring, which he has no control over. He doesn't utilize his powers of flight as much as he could due to his unwillingness to truly step into his Hell-form.
- Vivziepop described Alastor as having a fairly uncharitable view of a lot of his male acquaintances, and that he would acknowledge them as an unflattering collection of their most basic traits. She said Alastor sees Husk as "sad", "lonely", "alcohol" and "gambling".
- When discussing the characters' cooking abilities, VivziePop said that Husk just eats "shitty bar food".
- While Husk has yet to show any unique demonic powers, Vivziepop confirmed that Husk indeed has powers of his own; when asked who would win in a fight, Husk or Angel, Vivziepop was unsure, saying it would be an intense battle if they were both really trying to win, with Angel being faster, more agile and more accurate, but, Husk having more power.
- Although Husk appears very distanced from those around him and no longer interested in meaningful relationships beyond his usual bottle of booze, Vivziepop has continued to describe Husk as Angel's "best friend" during her later development streams for the pilot, as well as implied that Husk may begin to take responsibility for the younger and more delinquent members of the hotel in the future.
- The number '75' in Husk's now archived Voxtagram account username, @bar_cat75, may be a reference to either his age when he died, or the year he died.
- Husk made his first animated appearence in Vivziepop's animatic short, Daddy Issues, where he watches with amusement from the audience as Angel roasts his father and brother on stage.
- On a development stream for the pilot Vivziepop talked about it being a potential long-running joke that, while the other characters are all always arguing, Husk can constantly be found lying on the couch completely dispassionately watching or reading porn as if it were regular TV or a magazine. It's unclear if this still remains a plan for the show.
- On April Fool's Day 2018, VivziePop's channel released a short comedic fake trailer for the Hazbin Hotel pilot, in which Husk drunkenly rambles about how bad modern trailers are. Within the ad-libbed dialogue, Husk makes a joke about having fought in Vietnam (world boxing tour).
- Despite the obvious comedic tone of the fake trailer, the idea of Husk fighting in Vietnam, or just being a war veteran in general, became so widespread within the fanbase that it prompted Faustisse to clarify with VivziePop that she had not, in fact, made this part of his canon backstory, to which VivziePop replied, "No. I have no idea what that is. I've never heard of it".[note 7]
- Vivziepop joked that Husk is one of the easier characters for her to write as he doesn't really care much about anything anymore and is almost always grumpy, causing him to have similar deadpan reactions to everything.
|Hazbin Hotel||Helluva Boss|
|Main Characters||Charlie Morningstar • Vaggie • Angel Dust • Alastor • Husk • Niffty||Blitzo • Millie • Moxxie • Loona|
|Major Supporting Characters||Cherri Bomb • Fat Nuggets• KeeKee • Sir Pentious • The Egg Bois • Razzle and Dazzle • Katie Killjoy • Tom Trench||Stolas • Agent One • Agent Two • Cletus • Collin • Keenie • Fizzarolli • Octavia • Verosika Mayday • Wally Wackford • Striker|
|Supporting Characters||Crymini • Exorcists • Helsa von Eldritch • Seviathan von Eldritch • Lilith • Lucifer||Asmodeus • Stella • Verosika's posse • Vortex • Andrealphus • Robo Fizz • Paimon|
|Overlords||Alastor • Rosie • Valentino • Velvet • Vox|
(HH • HB)
|Arackniss • Baxter • Angel Dust's father • Molly • Roo • Mimzy • Travis||Tilla • Mammon • Catfish Monster • Eddie • Barbie Wire • Joe • Lin • Loopty Goopty • Lyle Lipton • Martha • Mrs. Mayberry • Ralphie • Sallie May• Cash Buckzo|