- "You think you can just buy me with a wink and some cheap booze?! Well, you CAN!"
- ―Husk, responding to Alastor's proposal
Husk is an anthropomorphic avian cat demon. His look is evocative of a magician, paired with a casino referencing playing-card theme. His fur is taupe-colored, overlayed with white fur on his face, torso, feet, and upper arm. He has long red eyebrows with dark red vertical stripes near the tips, and a small black heart above each eyebrow. His eyes are brown with yellow-orange irises. His tail is taupe and long, ending with a large spray of "plume-like" fur or feathers, which are red with black and white stripes. His wings are large and red, with black stripes and suits (the symbols on playing cards: diamonds, clubs, spades and hearts) markings. The insides of his ears are white with dull pink stripes. Husk wears a black top hat with a red hatband, a golden hat decoration (looking similar to a coin or button) a red bowtie, and a darker shade of taupe encircling his ankles, mimicking spats. He has yellow-orange hearts on the bottom of each of his paws, both hands and feet.
Husk is a lazy and apathetic older sinner, who is generally uninterested in most things that fall outside of his now very narrow interests; namely gambling, parlor tricks, and prolific drinking. He resists having to do work for free and balks at the idea of being forced into "charity work" at Alastor’s request for the Hazbin Hotel (although he also seems easily bribed with "cheap booze"). A ‘husk’ of his former self, he claims to have "lost the ability to love" long ago, though whether literally or metaphorically is yet unclear. He can be gruff, sarcastic, and even vulgar at times, with a propensity to swear. Despite this, he is said to also be surprisingly patient and to take outlandish events in his stride, electing to drink his problems away later.
- Flight: Thanks to his large pair of avian wings, Husk is capable of flight, though it has been stated that he doesn't fly often, both because he is lazy and because he is not particularly fond of his demon form in general.
- Multilingualism: Aside from English, Husk can speak the following languages fluently: Italian, Russian, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, and Japanese.
- Gambling/Sleight-of-Hand: It's unclear whether Husk has any elevated skill when it comes to the actual playing of gambling related games, such as Poker, as he's noted to frequently cheat using his sleight-of-hand talents. Husk is shown to have skill in controlling the game, however, and has the ability to take an entire pot out from under a group of other players.
To be written...
- Husk's name means "a dried-up, and subsequently worthless exterior of something", which is descriptive of his character, as he's shown to be merely what is left over of the man he once was.
- Husk was from Las Vegas when living.
- Husk grew up in a casino and really likes "cheesy old magic shows" with unironic enthusiasm. As a child, he would watch the magic shows that took place in the casino. His love for magic is something he's retained, with it being described by Vivziepop as "the one thing that melts his crusty heart".
- Vivziepop describes Husk as a magician himself.
- According to Vivziepop, Husk's casino lifestyle, alongside his voice actor Mick Lauer's fluency in Mandarin, was an influence on his multilingualism.
- Husk utlizes his love of sleight-of-hand magic to frequently cheat at gambling. This is demonstrated in the pilot episode when Alastor teleports Husk to the hotel. He is shown with a hand of five cards and claims to have a full house (a pair and a three of a kind), when it can be seen that he has a pair of twos and a joker (which normally isn't used in poker, and even when it is, there are only two of them in a standard deck of cards). When Alastor knocks his cards out of his hand, five cards (including two different aces - the ace of hearts and the ace of spades) are shown.
- Vivziepop confirmed that Husk does indeed have demon powers. When asked who would win in a fight, Husk or Angel, Vivziepop was unsure, saying it would be an intense battle if they were both really trying to win, with Angel being faster, more agile and more accurate, but Husk having more power. She has previous drawn illustrations of Husk wielding a yellow electricity-type power from the hearts on his paws, which he's also pictured using in a more benign way when manipulating cards.
- Vivziepop says that she hasn't (at the time of recording) ironed out all the characters' nationalities, but she thinks that Husk is probably of Russian heritage, or at least part Russian.
- According to Dave Capdevielle, Husk is "very deeply emotionally troubled", which is why he drinks a lot.
- Vivziepop agrees with Mick's assessment of Husk as insecure in certain ways, and adds that Husk is most befitting of the title "has been", in the literal definition of the phrase, more so than any of the other characters from the main cast.
- According to Vivziepop, Husk is apparently "surprisingly patient". Contrary to what could be assumed of him, it takes a lot to push him to the point of explosiveness and he can endure a lot.
- According to Faustisse, Husk is good with children.[note 2]
- Vivziepop can see Husk being able to play the saxophone.
- Husk doesn't really like the form he has taken in Hell and does not embrace it, although he has accepted it. He especially dislikes his more cat-like mannerisms, like purring, which he has no control over. He doesn't utilize his powers of flight as much as he could due to his unwillingness to truly step into his Hell-form.
- Vivziepop described Alastor as having a fairly uncharitable view of a lot of his male acquaintances, and that he would acknowledge them as an unflattering collection of their most basic traits. She said Alastor sees Husk as "sad", "lonely", "alcohol" and "gambling".
- Husk is said to be the easiest character for Vivziepop to write, as he doesn't really care much about anything anymore and is almost always grumpy, causing him to have similar reactions to everything.
- Although Husk appears very distanced from those around him and no longer interested in meaningful relationships beyond his usual bottle of booze, Vivziepop has previous described Husk as Angel's "best friend", as well as implied that Husk will begin to take responsibility for the younger and more delinquent members of the hotel in the future. This suggests that there is a planned path towards self-improvement for him.
- Husk was originally designed by Vivienne's sister, Maritza.
- According to Vivziepop, Rick Sanchez from Rick and Morty was an influence on how she originally envisioned the tone of Husk's voice. Using a sample of Rick's voice as an example of what she was looking for did not play out favorably for subsequent auditions, as many that were sent in were mere impressions of Rick rather than a unique voice of their own.
- The number '75' in Husk's Voxtagram username, @bar_cat75, may be a reference to either his age at death, or his date of death.
|Hazbin Hotel||Helluva Boss|
|Main characters||Charlie Magne • Vaggie • Angel Dust • Alastor • Husk • Niffty||Blitzo • Millie • Moxxie • Loona|
|Supporting characters||Cherri Bomb • Fat Nuggets • Sir Pentious • The Egg Bois • Razzle and Dazzle • Katie Killjoy • Tom Trench||Stolas • Cletus • Collin • Keenie • Octavia • Robo Fizz • Verosika Mayday • Wally Wackford • Striker|
|Minor Characters||Crymini • Exorcists • Helsa von Eldritch • Lilith Magne • Lucifer Magne • Mimzy • Travis||Barbie Wire • Catfish Monster • Eddie • Joe • Lin • Loo Loo • Loopty Goopty • Lyle Lipton • Martha • Mrs. Mayberry • Ralphie • Sallie May • Stella • Verosika's crew • Vortex|
|Overlords||Alastor • Rosie • Valentino • Velvet • Vox|
|Other Characters||Arackniss • Baxter • "Henroin" • Molly • Seviathan von Eldritch||Fizzarolli • Tilla • Mammon|